UBC’s Office of the University Counsel is currently consulting with the university community on revisions to Policy 15 (Smoking and Smoking Product Promotion on Campus) to prepare for the legalization of cannabis in Canada.
All members of the university community are encouraged to provide their comments. Please submit feedback to the Office of the University Counsel at firstname.lastname@example.org by November 16, 2018.
As of October 17, and until a revised UBC policy is in place, smoking cannabis will be permitted in three smoking gazebos at UBC Okanagan:
Gazebos in which cannabis smoking is permitted
- East of the Transit Exchange and EME building
- North of the University Centre building (UNC)
- Monashee residence gazebo (between Similkameen and Monashee)
Gazebos in which only tobacco smoking is permitted
- East exit of the Administration (ADM) building
- Between the Arts (ART) and Creative and Critical Studies (CCS) buildings
- Kalamalka residence gazebo (Between Kalamalka and Nicola)
The interim measures are consistent with UBC’s existing restrictions on smoking. For health and fire safety reasons, smoking on university property is only allowed in designated smoking gazebos.
Campus Operations and Risk Management and Campus Health and Wellness will actively collect information about gazebo use from October 17 to the end of November to further support the revised Policy 15 as it is fully implemented in early 2019.