As of October 17, 2018, smoking cannabis will be permitted in three smoking gazebos at UBC Okanagan:
Gazebos in which cannabis smoking is permitted
- East of the Transit Exchange and EME building
- Cascades residence gazebo (near Lot R)
- Kalamalka residence gazebo (Between Kalamalka and Nicola)
Gazebos in which only tobacco smoking is permitted
- East exit of the Administration (ADM) building
- Between the Arts (ART) and Creative and Critical Studies (CCS) buildings
- Temporary shelter north of the UNC building
These measures are consistent with UBC’s revised Policy 15 on smoking. For health and fire safety reasons, smoking on university property is only allowed in designated smoking gazebos.
Campus Operations and Risk Management and Campus Health and Wellness will actively collect information about gazebo use from October 17 to the end of November 2018, and again in the spring of 2019, to further support the revised Policy 15.