Getting to Campus: Exciting Projects Begin
Transportation Improvements, Pedestrian Access, Cycling Connections & Public Realm Improvements
With the commencement of long awaited improvements to access to campus, significant construction activity will take place in and around our campus over the coming year and a half, as regionally significant infrastructure projects and exciting on-campus public realm improvements get underway. These include:
- John Hindle Drive construction
- Bulman Road cycle path construction (http://ur.ok.ubc.ca/access.html)
- Academy Way cycling access and connection to Sexsmith Road
- West Campus Access and West Parking Lot construction
- University Way Pedestrianization project
As a result of these exciting and interconnected projects, access to campus will also be impacted during construction. The majority of on-campus construction is likely to occur during the summer months; however, construction around the periphery of campus will impact campus accessibility.
Timelines may change as construction moves ahead, and we will make sure to update the campus community on an ongoing basis, especially when significant changes are occurring. Additional information with regards to municipal projects can also be found via the City of Kelowna.
The following provides a summary of Construction Activity in and around Campus. Check back for further updates.
|Project||ConstructionSchedule||Impact to Campus Community||Current Status/Updates|
|John Hindle Drive||Estimated Fall/Winter 2016 construction start||
|Bulman Road Cycling Access||Summer 2016||
|Academy Way Cycling Access & Connection to Sexmith Road||Fall 2016||
|West Campus Access & West Parking Lot reconstruction||Estimated May to September 2017 or May to September 2018||
|University Way Pedestrianization Project||To be determined||
||Fall 2016 – University WayRedesign Planning and Design Process Underway|
- John Hindle Drive Construction Construction of the final phase of John Hindle Drive via UBC’s West Campus lands will be commencing in mid-2016.
- West Campus Access ConstructionAs part of the John Hindle Drive project, the new West Campus Access Road will be constructed.
- Pedestrian Access During ConstructionPedestrian access from University Village to UBC Okanagan during construction.
- Cycling Access During ConstructionLearn about cycling access to UBCO Campus during the construction of John Hindle Drive.