Our first lens for COVID-19 safety planning
UBC’s principles to guide safety planning, including decision making and priority setting, during the COVID-19 pandemic are:
- The university will place the health and wellbeing of students, staff and faculty above all other considerations, and be mindful of public safety in its decisions.
- The university’s safety planning will be anchored in the health and safety guidance from BC’s Provincial Health Officer, health authorities, WorkSafeBC requirements, and UBC’s Health and Safety Policy.
- UBC will use a coordinated and phased approach to resuming or increasing on-campus activities.
- Approval of COVID-19 safety plans should be at the most knowledgeable administrative level, with notification to the next higher level. Higher-risk plans should be escalated for higher level approval.
- Phased reopening of campus activities/facilities may need to be reversed and stricter curtailment conditions imposed in response to public health direction or changes to the situation on our campuses.
- The university will provide as much certainty as possible to faculty, students and staff by making and communicating decisions as early as possible.
- The university will reflect on lessons learned to continually improve the safety of activities on campus.